Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Days of Reflection

Maybe this reflection has come on so strongly because I am hormonal, having just given birth to my third child.  Maybe it's that I spent 12 days nurturing my little girl in the NICU, while missing my other two children and watching other families suffer the same way...  Maybe I'm simply watching too many news stories with heart wrenching punchlines...  Maybe it's the fear of losing my job...again...  Maybe it's the pressure I feel to deliver a perfect graduation speech to students just beginning their lives, knowing that they won't (can't) truly hear what I have to say...  Maybe it's the fact that I celebrated my 8th wedding anniversary with my husband yesterday and am amazed at the journey we have already been on, both joyous and heartbreaking... 

I love the idea of holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.  Honestly, I spend most of my days reflecting on life, but love that we have specific days to help remind us of the beauty of our lives and the people in them.

Yesterday wasn't a typical "anniversary" day, as we had two doctor appointments for Olivia in Las Vegas, so we were up at 5 a.m. and out the door by 7 a.m. Needless to say with three children 5 and under, getting out of the house is not a small task, and then waiting in doctor's offices is not their idea of fun.  We then grabbed lunch on the road and rushed back to Pahrump to register Alina for kindergarten and get Daddy back to work in time for a meeting and his after school program.  Then, it was nap time and up and back out the door to pick up Daddy and get to Alina's t-ball game.  Sadly, I have to admit that I wasn't the nicest person through each transition, as I get overworked over appointments and times, and bickering in the car over nothing,  etc.  Once we got home, we trudged through the nightly routine and put the kids to bed.  Then, I went to bed and fell quickly asleep. 

Olivia woke me up at 12:30 a.m. and that is when the true reflection began.  Maybe with the help of the news, the sweet little girl in my arms, the sleeping husband next to me, the "to do" list running through my brain, etc. I was swept away to a place of gratitude.  Yes, our anniversary day was overshadowed by appointments and running and schedules, but it's our life.  It's the life we have chosen together, and most importantly it's a life filled with the love and laughter of three amazing children that we have the privilege of showing the beauty of life to.  With all the chaos going on around us, it's worth taking a moment to reflect and see that we are blessed to have the errands to run, with the means to run them, and to be doing it together. 

I am so thankful for eight years of marriage to a wonderful man; I am thankful for the day to reflect and remember our journey; and I am thankful for every milestone that has brought us to this day and look forward to those to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment