Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dearest Alina


June 2012

Dearest Alina,

It seems impossible that I attended your kindergarten graduation today, when it feels as if I just walked you across the crosswalk in front of the big, new Manse building and nervously sat with you on the cement walls, awaiting your first day in Ms. Mills’ class.   It is truly incredible what has happened in this short, one year. 
Your performance today was entertaining to say the least, as you forced people to watch you while you intertwined your ballet moves with the practiced moves to the songs you sang.  I spent half of my time in the audience laughing and signing to you to “knock it off.”  You didn’t; however, as you were probably sure I thought you were hilarious as I could not wipe the smile from my face. 

Some of the highlights of the year were when you came home and told us you were in love with Chase, and then you kept dedicating your books to him.  You cried on the last day of school prior to Christmas break, because you were going to miss Ms. Mills.  Probably the biggest highlight, however, was when you came home and read your first book to us, and then kept reading and reading and reading.  A not-so-fun highlight was when you missed your class Easter egg hunt, because you were running 103 temperature and got caught right before getting out the doors as you tried to hang in there. 

You went into kindergarten as an independent, intelligent, kind girl.  I was sure that you would be successful, as you like to please people and you gravitate toward adults; however, I had no idea that you would make the strides you made.  To say I’m proud doesn’t cover the delight and pride that I feel when I think of you.  You exceeded the national average in every area from writing (love, love!) to math.  Additionally, you made friends, helped others, and warmed Ms. Mills’ days and heart with your willingness to help and kindness toward others’.

You are simply an amazing young girl that inspires me to be a better person every day.  You are patient with your brother and willing to give chances when they might not be warranted; while you nurture your sister.  You are smitten for your papa, as he is for you, and are his shadow at every given opportunity.  You love red enchiladas and nachos, the hotter the better with a tall glass of milk.  You are simply growing into an amazing, young girl, and the best part is that you are ours’. 

Mommy and Daddy thank God for you every day.  First grade is coming soon, whether we are ready, or not, but we are excited for the adventures.  Thank you for embracing school and learning, and for being a kind, generous, loving little girl that brings a piece of heaven to us every day. 

I love you. 

Love Always,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment