Sunday, October 16, 2011

Another Milestone: Kindergarten

There are moments in life that are formed long before they happen, as we witness others experience them, we see them on television, and we create the moment in our head.  Everything in parenting is kind of/sort of that way, but the day Alina walked across the parking lot at Manse Elementary, I especially felt this way. 

So many people had said that they cried.  Honestly, I didn't feel that I would cry.  She was more than prepared, and was ecstatic to be going.  It really wasn't the idea of her starting school and/or attending class, but instead, the fact that my baby is 5-years-old.  With my brother, who is seven years younger than me, it felt as if once he was five, that the time flew.  I'm worried that the same will be true for my little girl and that I will constantly be asking the question, "Where has the time gone?" 

For her first day of kindergarten, Alina picked her own outfit, laid it out the night before, jumped up early in the morning to get ready and talked all the way to school about the unknowns.  I stressed a little bit about getting her there on time (with managing dropping off her sister and brother at different locations first), and then getting to work on time, but of course, it all worked out.  We even had time to stop off at the local coffee shop first for some much needed coffee, and hot chocolate.

Once we were at school, Alina had no problem getting to her class and greeting her teachers/ new friends, and old.  She walked into school as if she had been going for a year and was excited/ready to learn.  I hung back for a few minutes and took pictures, and then decided it was probably time for me to leave.  There were moms with their little one's clinging to their legs, like on the movies, and there were mom's with tears in their eyes.  I wasn't dealing with either of those issues as I beamed with pride at the sight of my little girl playing on the abc's mat with her friends.  I quickly gave her a kiss and a hug, and then left the room to get to work on time.  As I walked out of Manse Elementary School the tears crept up on me and slid down my face.  Finally, all those things people had said about "their baby going to kindergarten" had hit me.  My little girl was no longer an infant, or a toddler.  She is a school-aged girl.  She is embracing one new beginning of her future that will lead to so many more.  I didn't bawl in my car, or go hysterical, I simply cried a few tears representing the beautiful past we have had and the new journey of the future.

Alina ready to embrace the day, along with her silly brother making an appearance.  :)  

Spending some quality time with Mommy before the day began.  

Taking in everything around her.  I adore this picture.  

Ms. Mills and Alina.  What a beautiful task laid before her - to help encourage, teach and "grow" these little people.  

Beginning the day with fun time, playing with friends.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment