Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Moments of Reflection

As she sat in the rundown cabin she stared out the window waiting for her dreams to come up to shore.
 
Driving up the mountain, the green beauty fills my eyes and my heart.  With the trees, the wildflowers and the breath-taking views, my spirit is simply lifted.  This year, as I drove up the winding road, listening to my children talking about the beauty and the deer and the sheep, I felt contented at the progression of my life. 
One of the most beautiful aspects of the journey to Panguitch is the memories of Armando and I taking our first vacation there.  Unlike now, we stopped in Cedar City for our camp gear and groceries, planning not being a big priority.  Once packed, we drove up to the mountain and set-up camp.  Afterwards, we drove around in Uncle Saul’s pink chevy pick-up, listening to the same Kenny Chesney CD over and over again, loving every second of our time together. We discussed everything – from where we wanted to live, what our dreams and aspirations were/are, children, life, etc.  As individuals, we had it all figured out.   When we weren’t driving and/or talking, Armando was fishing, while I read a book (or 3).  Everything around us was, and is, so beautiful and we were, and are, happy in love. 

Now I am sitting in my cabin at 6:30 in the morning, enjoying my cup of coffee, with two of my children sleeping peacefully, while Armando, Alina and McKenna are on a boat, fishing on the lake with Grammie and Papa, Uncle Rey and Bri.   It’s hard to even fathom how far we have come and what has happened in our lives in the short ten years since our first trip.  Now, packing begins at least one week in advance of ever filling up the gas tank and heading off.  The car is filled with children’s laughter and crying, conversing and questions.  Lots of questions.  Armando has fishing buddies and reading has become a novelty.  Three children really weren’t in our future, and yet, it is by far the most meaningful, amazing aspect of our life.  Teaching wasn’t a career that I had chosen, or thought that I would choose, and yet I have spent the last five years teaching, and loving every minute.  

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, Desiree. It's amazing to think how far we've come in 10 years and how much has changed.

    ReplyDelete