Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beginning a fourth year in Halloween style

I love the reflecting that birthday's force me into.  I love to look back at pictures and days and milestones and see where my children have been and where they are headed.  I love to hope for them and guide them, and simply watch them embrace their experiences with excitement and love.  And, although most of the time I am pretty positive in my reflecting, I have to admit the three's for Aydon were a rough year in some ways.

This year is particularly "interesting" for Aydon, as he has been my most difficult child in terms of stubbornness and throwing tantrums/fits, etc.  It could be that he is a boy.  Or, that he's three (now four), and I sometimes expect that he should act like Alina (who's five).  It could be my own lack of patience, and/or lack of understanding of what the "norm" is.  There are many, many reasons that this "could be."

What is funny to me in my reflecting of Aydon's fourth birthday, is that the day represented Aydon's third year.  He had an amazing birthday party, surrounded by family and friends.  For the most part, he embraced every moment, enjoying that everyone was there for him.  However, he had two moments of frustration/tantrums that sent him to time out.  As a Mom that planned an amazing party for her little man, it was so frustrating to have to deal with his moments of discontent; however, while discussing this with Daddy later, it really just is him.  And while my frustration overcomes me at those moments, I also can see that he is so much more than tantrums.  :)

He is passionate and full of energy.  He loves to be told how amazing and sweet he is.  (He melts when I sing, "You are my Sunshine" to him.)  He is happy to help others, even if it can be a bit overwhelming.  :)  He loves candy and will eat as much as he can get a way with.  He simply can't have a drink without spilling and/or anything really without making an absolute mess.  (Why we say, "You can only have this if you don't make a mess.", simply doesn't make any sense.)  He is competitive and driven, and that is already so evident.  He made milestones this year, from his amazing vocabulary to riding his bike without training wheels.  He loves to cuddle and wants a book (or two, or three) read to him every night.  He is obsessed with flossing, and thinks that tooth paste is paint.  He adores his Papa and Grammie and became best buds with his cousin, Xander, this year.  He loves bugs and dirt and to chase the cat/dogs just because he can.

Ultimately,  he is our boy.  And, although he has tested me so much this year, I realize, that is his job.  (And, maybe I have some growing to do in my 30's.)  He's a three-year-old, now 4!, boy and he is an amazing "package deal" - good, bad and indifferent.  While he tests my parenting skills and forces me to ask "what is normal?", along with reading many, many parenting books - he is an absolute joy in our life, who makes me happy to be his Mommy.  Here is to Year #4 and all that it has to offer!






No comments:

Post a Comment